More Medical Neglect: Parchman.

Nancy came across this radio show this AM. Sounds like more of the same that Jamie’s been getting – and characteristically, the family is left in the dark – as is probably the patient.

This suggests a pattern of medical neglect that the Department of Justice should investigate for violations of the Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act (CRIPA). Direct them to this blog. The more people who forward this post to their offices with a request that they investigate medical care urgently at the MDOC, the better. Here’s the link to the contact page for the Special Litigation Section at the DOJ which handles CRIPA complaints
– call and get an email addresss you can forward documentation to them at, then just click the little envelope at the bottom of this post, where you can email them from. Do that whenever we have a new post about another case of medical neglect/abuse.

If anyone else comes up with some recent info on complaints about prison medical services – or if there are families out there right now struggling with similar issues – email us, please. Let us tell your story, too. This site can become a respository of stories of prisoners and families fighting for rights – stories which may end up as testimony. It’s important that your voices are heard. It would be good to learn more about how often medical releases are ever granted, too.


“It appears that Jamie Scott is not the only prisoner having problems with the MDOC medical clinic…” – nancy

Southeastern Christian Association
8710 Valley Forest
Houston, TX. 77078
Web Page:


Inmate Vincent Carnell Hudson, age 61, of Louisville, Mississippi entered the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman October 2008 in very good health. He was well enough to be assigned to work in the cafeteria. September 27, 2009 Vincent was placed “in the hole” as a disciplinary action for having a cell phone in his possession.

After his 2-3 week confinement “in the hole”, Vincent emerged a very frail and weak man suffering from severe pneumonia. He complained about pain in his side and that he could hardly walk. He was sent to the infirmary at Parchment where he stayed for 3 weeks; while there he coded twice before being transferred to Greenwood Leflore Hospital in Greenwood, Mississippi on November 5, 2009. Where he coded once again, required a tracheotomy, was placed on a respirator, dialysis and required insertion of a feeding tube.

Vincent was discharged from the hospital on Friday, December 4, 2009 and remanded back to the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, still a gravely ill man in need of proper medical care. He was laid in the infirmary in a bed that had dingy sheets with holes in them and a balled up sheet under his head for a pillow. In that room there was chairs for the family to sit, that was very dusty. Surely not a place for a person with a trach or feeding tube should be. His family asked when was his feeding time? They were told that he could not be fed because there was no feeding order. But, Dr. Perry told them that there was a feeding order. He has been returned to the very location that facilitated his physical demise, Parchman and its hospital/ infirmary. He is unable to walk, speak, see or eat. He still has a trach and feeding tube inserted, is partially paralyzed and incontinent. His family states that he appears to be malnourished and dehydrated.

After a calls from Southeastern Christian Association, Mothers of Inmates, NAACP and various churches in the state of Mississippi to the Governor, Radio Stations T.V. Stations, on December 7, 2009, Mississippi State Department of Corrections (MDOC) Commissioner Christopher B. Epps had Vincent Carnell Hudson transferred from the infirmary of Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman back to the long term care treatment facility more adept to care for his comprehensive medical needs. On that same day we also petitioned him for a Medical Release of Vincent due to the severe impairment of his health. Vincent’s prognosis is dismal and his medical circumstance renders him completely harmless.

On December 31, 2009, Vincent was sent back to the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman infirmary. Today is January 15, 2010, and Mr. Vincent is still in the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman infirmary. The family does not know his condition, because MDOC have not as of today permitted the family to see their brother. They are afraid for his life.

We have been told by the MDOC Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Gloria Perry that the Medical Release has been processed and is now on Commissioner Epps’ desk awaiting his final determination.