URGENT: CALL GOVERNOR KASICH
Ohio is getting ready to execute Abdul Awkal on June 6 for the 1992 murders of his estranged wife and her brother in Cleveland.
On Friday, May 18 the Parole Board issued an 8-1 recommendation against clemency. The minority report cited the long history of Abdul Awkal’s mental illness, hallucinations, grandiose delusions. The report even cited bizarre statements during the interview with the parole board during the clemency process. The prosecution and majority of parole board members are ignoring the obvious serious mental health illness of Mr. Awkal. Click here to read the report.
Please call Governor Kasich’s office at and urge him to commute the sentence of Mr. Awkal to life without parole. We Ohioans recognize we should not execute our citizens who suffer from debilitating mental illness.
Background on the case:
Abdul Awkal has a long history of severe mental illness prior to the murders and since his incarceration. When he was arrested and charged, he was found incompetent to stand trial. After treatment at a mental hospital and increased dosages of anti-psychotic medications, he was ruled fit for trial even though he continued to be treated at the hospital during his trial.
The following information from the clemency petition for Mr. Awkal demonstrates the nature of his mental illness:
- Mr. Awkal was ruled incompetent to waive his appeals in 2007 by a federal court.
- Mr. Awkal believes that he is conducting US foreign policy in the Middle East.
- Mr. Awkal believes he is in communication with former president Bush regarding the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Mr. Awkal believes he provides the CIA with important intelligence information. He believes he had direct communication with former CIA director George Tenant to help the CIA win the war in Afghanistan. He also believes he is partially responsible for the events which took place in the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
- Mr. Awkal believes that General David Patraeus adopted Awkal’s new war plan sent to President Obama.
- Mr. Awkal believes he warned US officials of the September 11 attacks before they took place.
- Mr. Awkal believes encoded messages from the CIA come to him via editions of USA Today.
He has done all of this diplomacy and classified work from his prison cell on death row.
No one disputes that Mr. Awakal suffers from a debilitating mental illness. His disorder has been diagnosed and is well known.
Please call Governor Kasich’s office at and urge him to commute the sentence of Mr. Awkal to life without parole. Ohioans recognize Mr. Awkal suffers from a debilitating mental illness and should not be executed.
Please let Governor Kasich know that Ohio should not be executing someone as profoundly mentally ill as Mr. Awkal.