MORE CORRUPTION FROM THE COUNTY WHERE KIDS FOR CASH SCANDAL TOOK PLACE
In April 2010, at SCI Dallas (PA), after a series of abuses at the hands of corrections officials, 6 prisoners housed in the solitary confinement unit decided they had enough and decided to stage a peaceful protest in response to the inhumane conditions and mistreatment of prisoners. Each prisoner involved in the protest is now collectively referred to as the Dallas 5.
After enduring abuses, official misconduct and outright administrative corruption, these men decided it was time to do something about the inhumane conditions, immediately, before another prisoner died or is brutally harmed. The guards were beating inmates and promised these men were next.
These men who peacefully covered their cell doors and barricaded doors are being charged with riot. All they did was ask for an outside official. They were protecting themselves from harm. They committed no violent acts, yet violence was inflicted upon them by the guards in riot gear. They were pepper sprayed, beaten and tased. These men are in solitary confinement, which means they are in a single cell 24/7 with no contact. They did not cause or create riot! They had no ability to do so! They are being charged with riot because they have lawsuits against the prison and guards. Some of them are pro se lawyers who have gone against the DOC as their own attorney. This is frowned upon and retaliated against on a massive level. These same men contributed to the Human Rights Coalition report which detailed ongoing abuses and human rights violations within the dungeons of this state and especially at SCI Dallas.
As revealed in the Human Rights Coalition report and before the House of Representatives, there has long been a policy within the prison walls of Dallas and the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections (DOC) to operate a corrupt administration under an iron wall of silence. Under this iron wall or code of silence, SCI Dallas, PA DOC, District Attorney’s Office, as well as the Pennsylvania State Police operates in participation and conjunction with one another to cover up crimes and misconduct by state offices by overlooking video footage of officers caught on video tape committing human rights violations.
This case should be thrown out. Besides the fact that charges are bogus here are some of the reasons it should be dismissed:
• Discovered that one man was not arraigned and after more research that none of the men were arraigned in a timely manner.
• They have wasted thousands of taxpayer dollars in housing, transportation and court costs bringing them back and forth across the state for their dog and pony show. The first time they brought them under heavy security with helicopters.
• They brought them to court illegally while the case was in the supreme court in September 2012 but when they guys spoke up that it was illegal they ended the hearing and removed the hearing from dockets like it never existed.
• The charges only carry a short sentence and are ordinarily handled through the prison disciplinary system.
•In 3 ½ years they have been before the court on at least 6 occasions and have not even had pre-trial because the prosecution continues to postpone due to their own errors.
•It is evident that if they had a case it would have been adjudicated long ago.
These men do not want sympathy; they want to do their time without being subjected to racism and violence by staff. These false charges should be dropped. Mr. Peters who is still being tortured at SCI Dallas, should be moved out of there. Taxpayer’s money is being wasted on a personal vendetta. The crime here is what is really going on with in the bowels of our “justice and prison” system. They should be on trial and not these men.
For more information and updates about the case please visit:
Text of the petition:
To: Luzerne County DA Stephanie Salavantis, Luzerne County Court
Dismiss all charges against Dallas 5
The Dallas 5 are Andre Jacobs, Carrington Keys, Duane Peters, Anthony Locke and Derrick Stanley.
Besides the fact that it is a false and retaliatory complaint, there are many reasons for dismissal of charges. These are only a few:
• The county and DOC have wasted thousands of taxpayer dollars in housing, transportation and court costs bringing them back and forth across the state for a personal vendetta
• Pre-trial has been delayed at least 6 times due to prosecution errors.
• It has take over 3 1/2 years to prosecute a 3rd class felony
• The men have endured well documented human rights abuses at SCI Dallas
• The only people injured during the incident were the prisoners
• They have a right to a speedy trial and this has been anything but a speedy trial
• Covering your window is a violation of DOC policy and should have been handled internally not through the courts
• Covering your window is not a riot!