Received via Ohioans To Stop Executions group and added a letter which was sent earlier as sample:
Brett Hartmann is due to be executed by the State of Ohio on November 13th. Brett has evidence which has never been heard in court. He has evidence of innocence.
We cannot allow Ohio to kill a man with evidence of innocence. We cannot just sit back and do nothing to try to stop this.
Please see this site to see the evidence:
Then WRITE letters, emails and faxes to the addresses below, including the newspaper email addresses. Let ALL these people know that the world is watching. Tell them where in the world you are.
Please also forward this message to your friends and groups.
WE MUST TRY!!!
Dear Governor Kasich,
My name is …, I am from …, and my concern is the upcoming execution of Brett Hartmann #357869 on November 13th
I have read Brett’s website, run by his sister, and there is also a YouTube film about his situation.
About the case:
– There was testimony by a jailhouse snitch involved, someone who will become better off when he lies on the stand.
– Much of Mr Hartmann’s case has not been able to be looked at on appeal because post- conviction attorneys missed crucial filing dates.
– Prosecution/police indicted Brett and then went to collect new-found evidence, thinking this would prove guilt. Even though this “big break” turned out to be nothing, they had already indicted Brett and released it to the media, they then went ahead with his trial. So maybe it was to “save their faces?”
– When Brett went to trial he faced a prosecutorwho was well known to be overzealous, and would try to win at all costs. She was also known to over- indict, violate disclosure rules, withhold evidence, and then target defense attorneys who opposed her.
– Mr Hartmann had a defense team that did little to nothing to defend him. Never asking or accepting Mr Hartmann’s side of events, saying that they preferred to let the evidence tell them what happened, and then relied on the “State’s evidence” for trial.
– The crux of the state’s case relied on erroneous blood spatter-evidence in regard to Mr Hartmann’s t-shirt, and the testimony of a man who has misrepresented his credentials, who manipulated data, is facing ethics charges, and under suspicion due to evidence that had been altered while in his chain of custody.
– In addition to this, the state also cites the jail house snitch testimony as one of the key factors in Mr Hartmann’s conviction. His testimony at trial did not match the crime. Yet, the state also cites this jail house snitch testimony as one of the key factors in Brett’s conviction.
– Brett’s alibi:At the time of the crime, Brett Hartmann was at home. There are phone records showing that he was there, making and receiving calls from his home during the time of the crime.
The person who he had been talking to on the phone testified in court to that effect. A family member was able to testify that they witnessed him home at the time in question. Both of these testimonies were discredited at trial when the coroner tailored his testimony about the time of death, which we now have the documents to show.
– Justice Pfeiffer stated, “The record does not contain proof beyond a reasonable doubt that a kidnapping occurred.” “I would reverse the kidnapping conviction and felony murder conviction and vacate the sentence of death”.
While the court may agree that Brett Hartmann’s defense council made mistakes, they do not consider this “Gross Negligence”. Yet Brett Hartmann may be executed due to these mistakes, many issues were not brought up on appeal because of missed filing dates.
Brett Hartmann means a lot to me and many others. He has friends around the world who see his soul and who know he is gentle, friendly, humane, wise and very humble. Brett Hartmann, like every human being, needs to be kept alive.
Dear Governor, please do not have the execution take place. There is too much doubt, there are too many failures of the court and prosecution to make this case 100% certainly guilty. There is no way the death can ever be turned, it is absolute. No one will receive “relief,” or “closure.” There is no justice in killing someone.
Please consider these arguments, and please use your conscience to decide. I am praying for you in this most difficult life-and-death decision. God be with you in guiding you. Life is everything. Please do not let anyone take it away.
Thank you for your time to read this and think about this.
[name and address]
Website made by Brett Hartmann’s sister:
What you can do:
Send a similar letters to:
Governor John Kasich
77 S. High St.
Columbus OH 43266-0601
Ohio’s Attorney General
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine
State Office Tower
30 E. Broad St.
Columbus, Oh 43215-3428
Tel. (614) 466-4320
Ohio State Senators:
455 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
Tel. (202) 224-2315
Congressman Tim Ryan
Washington D.C. Office
1421 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Akron Beacon Journal
Send emails without attachments to:
You must include your name, address and phone number to be considered for publication.
Website for Brett Hartman:
You can also sign the online petition: