On June 5th and 10th a food refusal / hunger strike was started at Waupun C.I. in Wisconsin.
The peaceful protest is against the long-term solitary confinement within Wisconson DOC’s prisons called “Administrative Confinement” (AC).
The group ROCWISDOM has issued this statement in solidarity with the hunger strikers in Wisconsin.
Here are the demands of the hunger striking men as stated in their petition you can sign:
Petitioning WI DOC Secretary Jon Litscher
Waupun prisoners begin “Food Refusal” to Protest Solitary Torture
By Prison Forum
Dying to Live
Announcing a Human Rights Campaign at Waupun Correctional Institution starting June 10, 2016.
Prisoners in Waupun’s long term solitary confinement units will start a food refusal action called “Dying to Live” to demand an end to solitary torture in Wisconsin prisons.
THE WHY: In the state of Wisconsin over a hundred prisoners are in the long term solitary confinement Units a.k.a. administrative confinement (AC). Some have been in isolation for 18 to 29 years concurrently.
The Problem: The U.N., several states, and even President Obama have come out against this kind of confinement, citing the torturous effect it has on prisoners.
The Objective: Stop the torturous use of long term solitary confinement (A.C.) Here are our demands:
1) Place a legislative cap on the use of long term solitary confinement (A.C.)
2) DOC and WIS legislators must adopt/come into Compliance with the U.N. Mandela Rules on the use of solitary confinement.
3) Form and implement an Oversight Board/Committee Independent of DOC to stop abuse and over-classification of prisoners to “short” and “long” term confinement.
4) Immediately transition and release prisoners who have been on the long term solitary confinement units for more than a year in the Wisconsin DOC to less restrictive housing.
5) Ensure proper mental health facilities and treatment of “short“ and “long” term solitary confinement prisoners.
6) Instigate an immediate FBI investigation into the mind control programs being used in the system. We believe these exist to break and recondition anyone they consider a threat to their regiment. All mind control programs aimed at dehumanizing prisoners under the guise of “mental therapy” must be investigated and stopped.*
Here is a links to an article on mind control programs in our prisons:
For more information on AC, including the Mandela Rules, to read AC prisoners profiles and writings by AC prisoners, and much more, go to Solitarytorture.blogspot.com and from there you can browse other prison issues.
To contact us, email firstname.lastname@example.org
This petition will be delivered to:
WI DOC Secretary Jon Litscher
More prisoners pledge to strike and DOC reacts
By Prison Forum
JUN 4, 2016 — Hello, I thank you for signing this petition. Communication with the prisoners is difficult but at least one inmate has been moved to another prison and we are told more prisoners are pledging to refuse to eat in solidarity with the others. Some prisoners are starting to refuse food early but the official start date is June 10th.
Lots is happening on our side and besides scrambling to get ready for rallies on June 10th and 11th, we are searching for ways to get and maintain contact with the striking prisoners. Our mail sometimes reaches the prisoners sometimes not and phone calls are once a week. Senator Harris- Dodd is helping to coordinate wellness checks with other legislators that have shown interest. With a “wellness Check” the DOC liason for the legislature checks on or visits the prisoner (we hope daily) and reports to the legislators. This will help.
It is important that we let the people in power know that we care- that solitary Confinement over 15 days has been deemed torture by the United Nations and that some these men have been in isolation for DECADES.
Please go to our website Solitarytorture.blogspot.com to get addresses, emails and phone numbers of those in power over these men. There is also a “how you can help” list at right.
Let us know when you do contact them: email@example.com. Also here are sample letters to the legislature and media; and a sample press release to send to online and regular media, and lots of prisoners’ writings, studies and articles on this barbaric practice.
Thankyou again for your interest. There is a worldwide awakening to the horror of solitary confinement and the prisoners on AC are asking us to include them in our advocacy and to work for the elimination of this practice.
Administrative confinement has been a secret torture and finally these courageous prisoners are putting it on the map.
Madison: Friday June 10th. 1 pm, Madison capitol steps, West entrance
Milwaukee: Saturday, June 11th.12 noon, Milwaukee Court house steps
See web for contact numbers: http://www.solitarytorture.blogspot.com [and below!]
CALL AND EMAIL
Call and email the following people and tell them to meet the six humanitarian demands of the “Dying to Live” Food Refusal Humanitarian Campaign Against Torture. The objective of this campaign is to expose and stop the torture that is Administrative Confinement (AC).
a) Governor Scott Walker
P.O. Box 7863
Madison, WI 53707
b) WI Doc Central Office / Secretary of DOC Jon E. Litscher
P.O. Box 7925,
Madison, WI 53707
c) Columbia Correctional Institution Warden :
Michael Dittman, Warden CCI
P.O. Box 950
Portage, WI 53901-0950
He does not give out his email.
d) Waupun Correctional Institution Warden:
Brian Foster, Warden WCI
PO Box 351,
Waupun, WI 53963
3) Call or write the FBI in Milwaukee, WI and demand they investigate mind control programs in Wisconsin maximum prisons.
3600 S. Lake Drive
St. Francis, WI 53235
Tel.: (414) 276-4684
4) Call and email your local new media and ask them to cover this food refusal, “Dying to Live” campaign. Use one of our templates to get started.
5) Contact your own legislators and ask them to learn about Administrative Confinement and support our campaign against solitary torture. You can find out who your legislators are and get contact information here: http://maps.legis.wisconsmin.gov (enter your address or zip in right corner) or here: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/about/contact/)
OR by googling:”Who are my legislators in Wisconsin?”
6) We will be announcing a “rolling fast” to express solidarity with the food refusal where we take turns fasting for one day each for as long as the prisoners continue their action. Document your story live for social media, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.